Tuesday 5 March 2013

Keith's Pokejournal 001

Pokéjounal: Introduction

Hello Everybody,
For the past couple of weeks my buddy Mario's been playing Pokémon Heart Gold for the Nintendo DS and sharing his progress through his blog. http://shareduniversereviews.blogspot.ca/  (Check it out!!!)


Pokémon Soul Silver
Of course being a big Pokémon fan myself I became frustrated that he was able to partake in this adventure and share his progress with the world. I then realized that I could also to join in on this adventure. So got my butt in my car, drove to the store and invested my hard earned money into a new DSi and Pokémon Soul Silver. Why Soul Silver and not Heart Gold you might ask, three reasons. 1- Back when I was a little boy I first explored Gen II with the original Pokemon Silver. 2- Lugia is way cooler then Ho-ho. 3- my buddy Mario has Hearth Gold, so together we'll be able to complete both our Pokédex's

So before I start playing I'm talking some time to work out what my strategy for this game is going to be. First off going to take a couple minutes here to explain my usual strategy that I've used in the past what I've had lots of success with and Mario's usual strategy. So Mario's usual strategy involves creating a good balanced team of Pokémon and leveling them all as best as he can so that he can use type advantages and actual strategy to help him win battles and kick ass. The upside to this strategy is that often a lower level Pokémon with the type advantage can defeat a higher level Pokémon and you get a nice balanced team that can handle lots of different types of Pokémon. The down side to this strategy is that because your trying to level up all your party Pokémon they don't grow to as high a level as if you where to concentrate your efforts on only one or two Pokémon.

Don't mess with this guy, cuz he kick your ass
My strategy is a bit less complex and relies on one super power Pokémon. Usually that Pokémon is my starter Pokémon and I use him in every battle so he levels up like a powerlifter on steroids  This works extremely well with a Cyndaquil as a starter Pokémon as the first couple of gyms that you hit in Silver aren't going to have a type advantage on you. You actually have a type advantage for the second one. That being said, by only leveling up your starting pokémon he should progress at a speed that will keep him well above the levels of other Pokémon that you'll be facing. "But Keith, what about facing Pokémon that have a type advantage over you, the biggest problem being Water Pokémon as my big fire attacks hardly do any damage while their water attacks can really kick my ass." The answer to that is a move that you can teach Typhlosion using a TM called ThunderPunch. This makes Typhlosion able to face off against almost any Pokémon and do some decent damage. Proof of this, in the Original Pokémon Silver, once he learns Flamethrower at lv 55 he is able to take on the Elite Four pretty much single handed. (which makes for a great way to make extra money and level up other Pokémon using exp. share btw)

Which strategy works better? Powerleveling one Pokémon or raising a team? Hard to say. You can make it through the game using either of the these two strategies to be honest, it just depends of that your looking for in the game.

This time I think I'm going to take my time going through this game and "do it right" and create a truly powerful team of Pokémon that can handle anything the game can throw at me. Been doing my research over the past couple days and I'm confident that I've found a team that should be able to get me through the game. Not going to spoil the fun here yet thought, you'll just have to follow along to find out what my master team looks like. Small spoiler, definitely going with a cyndaquil for my starter. cuz Chikorita is a wuss and Totodile is not much better in my opinion. (sorry Mario but you know it's true. I can hear Mario's anger already, he's a Totodile guy btw)


So that`s it for this post, join me next time and see my how my Pokémon story unfolds, how I face fun times and tough challenges. After all a world of dreams and adventures with Pokémon wait! Let's go! I'll be seeing all of you later!



Leave some comments if you want and look forward to the next blog.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Well done. I look forward to reading your first real PokéJournal.

    ReplyDelete